Seven bedridden years after tumbling from a rooftop, Terry Counterman can walk again but could soon lose his Carbondale home in a foreclosure sale.

"I've been sending them paperwork and forms for two years. Someone from the bank calls five, six times a day, telling me to send them more forms. I'm sending them all the money I have, and they say it's not enough," said the 63-year-old former roofing inspector, whose lender plans to sell his home of 30 years next month. "I didn't buy this place as an investment. I bought it as my home."

On Garfield County's tally of foreclosures, Counterman's bank reports he owes about $67,000 on his loan. He's one of an unprecedented number of homeowners in Colorado's high country who are battling foreclosure.

The crush of foreclosure filings in mountain communities continued through 2010, eclipsing not just the records from the previous year but the fallout from the formidable crash of the mid-1980s.

Read more:Foreclosures in Colo. mountains scaling record heights - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_17071031#ixzz1ApPbE44b